Main Vindaloo Ingredients:
- 1 Kg Chicken
- Salt as per taste
- 4-6 cloves
- 4-6 peppercorns
- fried potatoes (optional)
2 bay leaves (optional)
Vindaloo Masala Ingredients:
- 15 Kashmiri Chillies
- 2 Medium Onions
- 4 – 6 Garlic flakes
- 1″ Ginger
- 1 Tbspn Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbspn coriander seeds
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 1″ piece of Cinnamon
- 3 – 6 Peppers
- 3 – 6 Cloves
white wine Vinegar/malt vinegar
- Wash the Chicken pieces well, and then chop them up into nice bits.
- Dry them up using a kitchen towel to absorb all the water.
- Then add some salt this should help dry the pieces even more.
- Add all the ingredients of the vindaloo masala and then grind all of it in the blender.
- Add 1/4 vinegar & blend.
- After few minutes add more 1/4 vinegar & blend again.
- Add your masala to the chicken pieces and mix it up well. Make sure all the pieces of meat are evenly mixed with the masala mix it up and store it overnight in the fridge or aside for 2 hours.
- In a deep pan add some oil and transfer the pieces of chicken to it.
- Add 4-6 peppercorns and 4-6 cloves.
- Let the vindaloo simmer on a low fire as the meat soaks in the masala and gets cooked for 15-20 minutes.
Add the potatoes & cook for 2-3 minutes further.
Tip: The Vindaloo tastes better the next day as the meat gets properly marinated, its not really a very spicy dish but on the tangy side. The longer you store it the better it tastes just like any pickle. Adjust heat as per your preference.